Database connection using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 to SQL Server

Jump to solution
03-30-2015 02:52 PM
Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III

I have two computers with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 loaded.  One is a new install.  I am trying to connect to a SQL Server database on the new computer using exactly the same credentials that worked on the first computer.  What can be different on this computer that would cause the issue.  The error message says something about an older version of SQL Server Client.  Is there something else I need to install other than the base ArcGIS Desktop 10.3 software?

capture.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffWard

You probably need the SQL Server Native Client installed.  I think there is a disk with DBMS support files if you requested a hard copy, or there should be a download available.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JeffWard

You probably need the SQL Server Native Client installed.  I think there is a disk with DBMS support files if you requested a hard copy, or there should be a download available.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The error message indicates a SQL Server client is installed, just an older one that isn't compatible with the version of SQL Server on the other end.

I suggest installing the Microsoft® ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server® - Windows.  I believe Esri is now packaging both the newer Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 and the older Native Client, but Microsoft has stopped updating the ODBC driver that is part of Native Client since they are moving forward using ODBC as the standard for native access to SQL Server and Windows Azure SQL Database.

0 Kudos
Syvertson

Thanks so much.  I had the disk for installing database support and simply forgot to install it.  Once I did, all is well.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you please tell us from WHERE the native client can be downloaded? It sure would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From my earlier comment in this thread:

I suggest installing the Microsoft® ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server® - Windows.  I believe Esri is now packaging both the newer Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 and the older Native Client, but Microsoft has stopped updating the ODBC driver that is part of Native Client since they are moving forward using ODBC as the standard for native access to SQL Server and Windows Azure SQL Database.

If you are dead set on using Native Client, it is packaged with the SQL Server Feature Pack.  If you visit the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Feature Pack download page, expand the "Install Instructions" section, and scroll a ways down; you can download only the SQL Server Native Client.

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann
Occasional Contributor II

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matthew,

What ver. of MS SQL Server are you using? And what is the ver. of the MS SQL Server Native Client?

Make sure the ver. of Native Client is same or higher than the Database Server. Also consider the service packs.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos