Data Logger/Aquisition - Polygons

08-16-2014 05:17 AM
JonathanMerrills
New Contributor II

Hello,

I need to purchase some hardware that will allow me to log points whilst I walk around the edge of a landform in order to create a polygon in ArcMap.

I'm not sure what the cost and availability of such things are but beyond price, obviously accuracy and portability are prime concerns, as is ease of compatibility with ArcMap. I am UK based.

Forgive me if this is a common question but I'm short on time and a real novice in this field. Any help or information that you can give would be very much appreciated.

kind regards

0 Kudos
13 Replies
stefanstamenov
Occasional Contributor III

You use ArcPad as a software, right?

JonathanMerrills
New Contributor II

Hi, no I don't currently. I haven't used any data collection software or hardware.

is Arcpad essential? I just need to collect the polygons and get them into Esri.

stefanstamenov

I think it is more practical to collect points, not tracks and afterwards draw polygons in ArcGis, or whatever software you use. If use ArcGis, usually you use ArcPad also, both are ESRI products and compatible. In all cases you will need receiver and software on the field.

stefanstamenov

And you are looking for a GPS receiver for a field work.

0 Kudos
JonathanMerrills
New Contributor II

If a GPS receiver will allow me to record my position as I walk around (thus measuring) a feature in a format that is compatible with ESRI then that sounds perfect, yeah.

0 Kudos
stefanstamenov

Yes, a GPS receiver can record your points in shape format if it has ArcPad on it. Otherwise you will have to convert for example the GPX file into shape. If you use Garmin hand held receiver for example.

0 Kudos
stefanstamenov

The choice of the receiver depends on the accuracy you need, and your budget, of course. I can not know the prices in UK, you have to ask the local dealers of the companies, but a receiver with OS is surely more expensive.

0 Kudos
stefanstamenov

I think ESRI work with Trimble, but I can not afford Trimble myself.

stefanstamenov

I hope gave some answer to your question.

0 Kudos