Data locked in ArcGIS Pro project

Jump to solution
06-29-2020 03:50 AM
deleted-user-E9bnzloBoDRg
New Contributor II

We have an ArcGIS Pro project where we are not able to save edits as we get an error "Modify vertices failed. This data is currently locked by another user and cannot be saved". No-one else in our organisation is using the data or has the project open (it is saved in a shared drive). Furthermore, when opening the same data in another project, we can save edits without any problems. Therefore, the problem seems to be about the Pro project file itself, not database locks.

Any ideas what might be wrong or what should we try?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor II

OK I got it solved. I opened the folder properties on my computer in which my Pro project was saved and removed the 'Read only' setting. I realised that the 'Read only' setting was turned on immediately afterwards, but somehow this did the trick for me - I guess it removed all the locks for a moment and that was all I needed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidNovak
Esri Contributor

Hi Katrin,

did you try to remove the problem layer? And add data again? The data is not local but from some shared storage right?

David.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Thanks David

I tried removing and adding all the layers which did not solve the problem. The data comes from our database server.

I might just create a new project from start - if we open the layers in any other Pro project, we can edit them without any problems.

New Contributor II

OK I got it solved. I opened the folder properties on my computer in which my Pro project was saved and removed the 'Read only' setting. I realised that the 'Read only' setting was turned on immediately afterwards, but somehow this did the trick for me - I guess it removed all the locks for a moment and that was all I needed.

DavidNovak
Esri Contributor

Hi Katrin,

I think you met this part of documentation: Open a project—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Where it is said: "... Similarly, if you accessed a project from a read-only network share, the project will be considered read-only...."

I am glad you were able to resolve the issue. Have a nice day.

David.

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

Hi

I'm not sure, because I was able to change and save the project itself - remove layers and change the appearance, but I was not able to edit data and save edits.

0 Kudos
philippenn
Occasional Contributor

For us, same symptom but different cause. There had been a data model change in one of the referenced layers, so we just had to remove layer and re-add.

0 Kudos