Select to view content in your preferred language

Cutting a point feature to the extent of a line feature?!

06-21-2011 06:32 AM
Simamohtashami
Emerging Contributor
Hello
I don't know how it is possible to cut/clip a point feature to the sixe/estent of a line feature in an ArcView version of the ArcMap? I tried:
1-'Clip' , but not applicable since it needs a polygon 'feature' as the cutting cookie.

2-'Selection by location' was not successful either since the two layers are not exactly on top of each other in all parts in this case.

what is important for me is to cut the point features to the extent of the line feature. Could you please let me know what could be the possible solution?

Best Regards
Sima Mohtashami
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
You can apply a search distance in "Select By Location" to include points within a certain distance to your lines.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are using ArcGIS 10, you can try the Minimum Bounding Geometry tool, which produces a rectangle polygon of either minimum width or minimum area around each line or a group of lines. If that is the right polygon you are looking for, then you can use that to clip your points.

Depending on the shape of the line, the minimum bounding rectangle may not be the same as the line extent/envelope.
0 Kudos