Creating sloping plane raster

06-26-2014 02:10 AM
TimD_Urban_Jackson
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm trying to create a raster of a sloping plane. I would like to use it to fill a gap in a raster for which there is no data, but I have an estimate of the surface shape at the location.

I followed this solution:
http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=995&t=268888#829193

and have the aspect, slope and constant values for the equation, but I then found out that the $$XMap and $$YMap functions were removed from ArcMap 10. I tried it with ArcMap 9 on a different computer and it crashed the program.

This is the equation I used in raster calculator (in v9):
$$XMap * (2.75835) - $$YMap * (3.26735) - 27105.9
(british national grid, analysis extent set to the same as a polygon shape file, cell size 0.5)

So my questions are:
1) is there a way to generate a plane with a constant slope in ArcMap 10 (without using python if possible, as I have no experience with it)
2) otherwise, have I made a mistake in raster calculator with v9?

Version:
ArcMap 10.1 Basic
3D analyst, Spatial analyst and more

Thanks!

Tim
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor
You could convert the Raster DEM with the missing areas with NoData over to points (Raster to Points) and create a TIN from that using the Gridcode as the height.   Then export the TIN to Raster and use it to replace the NoData areas only.   

Arthur Crawford
0 Kudos
TimD_Urban_Jackson
New Contributor
Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the reply. Unless I have misunderstood, your method would result in an interpolated slope that fills the gap. However, what I would like to fill the gap with a surface of specific parameters

The dataset is a section of a cliff, with a relatively straight section of road cut into it. The road surface is the area with no data. I would like to add in the road surface as a flat plane, with a slight slope. Therefore the resulting elevation will have a step at this point, rather than an interpolated slope.

Thanks
Tim
0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor
Hi Tim,

You could take the road and clip it for that area.    I would then make it 3D feature class and edit the vertices to the height you desire.   Then buffer it.   Make sure the buffer is 3d and has the slope you desire.    Use it and the points to create a TIN and then export to raster to fill in the NoData areas.

Arthur Crawford
0 Kudos