Creating Polygons from Polylines

08-02-2013 10:52 PM
SunelleCeleste
New Contributor
I am creating a map of animal surveys and would like to get the altitude values from my elevation layer for the individual points of my survey sites using the IDENTITY tool. My elevation layer, however, is a polyline layer and as such I need to convert it to a polygon layer. I have attempted to use the FEATURE TO POLYGON tool, however, the output feature class is empty. Does anyone have any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanielHall_Ballester
New Contributor III
Hi,
are your polylines closed?  It sounds like you might have gaps in them and therefore Arc doesn't know how to close them in order to create a polygon.
Thanks
Dan
0 Kudos
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor
Sunelle,
You may want to try a spatial join. It can get a point to pick up the attributes of the nearest line. The output is another feature class and you may need to do a table join to get the newly found line values back into your original point feature class. This is a good place for a model that be applied whenever new points are added to the feature class.
If you haven't done joins before, an easy way to get there is to right click the layer in ArcMap and select Join... .
Scott
0 Kudos
SunelleCeleste
New Contributor
Thanks Dan and Scott for all your help. I thought there were probably spaces between the lines but I wasn't sure what to do. I will give spatial join a go and see how it goes.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You can also find lines that don't connect (dangles) by using this http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01m600000037000000
0 Kudos