creating a point address layer

02-07-2012 03:36 AM
RanGoldblatt
New Contributor
Hi,

I am trying to create a point address layer created out of a street layer.

My street (lines) layer includes all detailed address info (LeftTo, LeftFrom, RightTo, Right From etc.).

I am able to create an address locator, however, it does not create a point layer

For my research I need a point layer, where each point represents a single address (St.+ number)

Is there any way to access the address locator table with the XY info, so I can convert it to a point layer?

Thanks!

Ran.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll see if I can clarify things for you.

If you have correctly built a locator using a line feature class of streets to match against, the results of geocoding a list of addresses is a point feature class. It seems to me that you need to figure out where in your work flow things are going south on on you.

First; is your locator correctly built?  Try using the geocoding tool bar and manually enter a known address.

Second; are the addresses you are trying to geocode in the proper format so the locator can work with them?  Without seeing your street data and your address data there is no way to know this.

Finally, with respect to xy values for the resulting points, you have the option to include them as part of your output. With any point feature class, you can add two fields, one for x and one for y and use the calculate geometry tool accordingly.

Hope this helps!
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RanGoldblatt
New Contributor
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Actually, I also did ESRI`s geocoding "Atlanta" tutorial, and I got the same result; I get an address locator file. when I add it to ArcMap and open the Geocoding toolbar I am able to identify addresses (which are snapped to the street layer. however, I am not able to locate the point layer itself (if there is such one), which has the point address entities stored in the address locator.

Where should I see that layer? is it supposed to be added as a regular point layer to the document?

What I mean is that the "Locator" file does exist. however, I don`t know where the addresses are stored in it. lets say I open a new ArcMap document and add to it the address locator- is there anyway I can see the point entities stored in it?

hope now my question (and misunderstanding...) is clear.

tanks!
0 Kudos
EarlSarow
New Contributor III

It sounds like you are expecting to find a table or layer containing all possible address points in your study area, as part of your address locator, is that correct?  Street address locators don't work like that. 

To oversimplify:  When you geocode an address, the locator first finds a street segment with a matching name and range of address numbers that encompasses the address number you're looking for.  Then it interpolates the distance along that street segment where that address would be found.  So for example, searching for "125 Main St", the geocoder finds a street segment named "Main St.", with an address range of 100 - 199.  125 Main St is 25% of the difference between 100 and 199 Main St so the geocoder calculates a point location 25% along the length of that segment. 

So the points you get when you geocode a table are interpolated from the address ranges of the street segments, and calculated on-the-fly as needed.  Creating an address locator is basically creating a bunch of compressed tables and indexes that make this process extremely fast. There is no "master" point layer or table.   

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your question.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Actually, I also did ESRI`s geocoding "Atlanta" tutorial, and I got the same result; I get an address locator file. when I add it to ArcMap and open the Geocoding toolbar I am able to identify addresses (which are snapped to the street layer. however, I am not able to locate the point layer itself (if there is such one), which has the point address entities stored in the address locator.

Where should I see that layer? is it supposed to be added as a regular point layer to the document?

What I mean is that the "Locator" file does exist. however, I don`t know where the addresses are stored in it. lets say I open a new ArcMap document and add to it the address locator- is there anyway I can see the point entities stored in it?

hope now my question (and misunderstanding...) is clear.

tanks!

When you interactively enter an address with the geocoding tool bar, you do not create an actual feature class; it only puts a graphic element down at the proper location.

The locator itself does not 'store' any addresses in it.  It is sort of a go between that you query against;  basically you ask the locator "Hey, I have this address I'm trying to locate on the map, does the reference data support this address?"

My suggestion is to create a table of a addresses; and I do mean TABLE!  Don't bother with an Excel spreadsheet; create a table in a geodatabse with one text field called ADDRESS.  Add a couple of records to this table in the format your locator will recognize.  You can geocode in ArcMap or ArcCatalog.  For the former, simply add your table to your ArcMap Session along with your locator.  You may also want to add the data that your locator references.  Geocode the table; you will be prompted to name and where to store the results.  I would suggest you store them in the same geodatabse your table is in. This resulting feature class is a point feature class that has the address data associated with it.

To geocode in ArcCatalog, just right click on your table and select geocode; you will be prompted for which locator you want to use and where to store the results.

Hope this helps!  Let us know how things work out...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos