Create Feature Set

01-14-2022 12:01 AM
Labels (3)
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Dear Community,

i have to create a feature set. I really don't know what it is.

but i read this...https://pro.arcgis.com/de/pro-app/latest/arcpy/classes/featureset.htm...

I think it works with arcpy, but how...

Sorry, I have no programming knowledge.

Greets,

Andrea

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ClaudioRuschel
New Contributor III

If you don't know how to program, maybe the demand you received was to create a "Feature Dataset"; which is a geodatabase structure. In a Geodatabase File (or Enterprise) a Feature Dataset is like a folder, where you can group feature classes for special needs, for example to build topology or network structures. A "Feature Set" is very different as it is just a programming resource (Python arcpy lib). I don't think you'll find this concept in the ArcGIS Pro User Interface. It's a way to define a data structure and store data (such as a JSON file) to use in memory or to persist in a Feature Class.

0 Kudos
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Hey Claudio,

I want to use this toolset.

https://pro.arcgis.com/de/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/defense/linear-line-of-sight.htm

So if you look at the parameter...you can read a feature set is required...

Thats why I'm a little bit confused.

Normally its always Feature Class...

Thanks in advance!

Greets,

Andrea

0 Kudos
ClaudioRuschel
New Contributor III

You only need two layers with points features to this analysis (observer and target). In the tool parameters that requires a "Feature Set", you can use standard point feature classes (from a FGDB, for instance) or you can load it on a Map in ArcGIS Pro, select some features and use the layer name. It seems to be a documentation formalism, but the solution is simple.

0 Kudos
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Yeah if it's just a feature class than it's alright 🙂 I have already create them, and also calculated with them, i was just confused because of the measure, the distance is not right, but I think it is becaus of ArcGlobe, there is just WGS 84 possible so thats why my meters are not correct, and i thought maybe it is because of the 'feature set' issue.

Thanks in advance!

Greets,

Andrea

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What is it you want to add to the featureset?

From the help

The input can be a catalog path to a feature class, a URL to a hosted feature layer, a JSON with the syntax {"url":"<url>", "serviceToken":"<ServiceToken>"} to load data from external sources that require an access token, or an Esri (FeatureSet) JSON string. 

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Hey Dan,

i just want to use this toolset in the link...i've got a point feature class to convert in a feature set.

https://pro.arcgis.com/de/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/defense/linear-line-of-sight.htm

Should I use the Python-Window? 😄

Greets,

Andrea

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

even the python window in Pro can be used, or notebooks if you want to stick inside Pro

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos