Could not load data from the data source

Jump to solution
11-01-2021 04:56 PM
DionGood
New Contributor II

Have tried repeatedly to join a table of 519,723 records (unique 2020 Census blocks containing urban/rural codes) to a shapefile of 2.8 million features (Census blocks containing broadband subscriber tallies by provider, technology, and speed) in order to determine how many subscribers are in urban and rural areas. It is a one-to-many join. Have repeatedly received the following error messages:

1) Could not load data from the data source. If you can correct the problem, press the refresh button to reload data. Possible problems can include bad network connection, invalid field, etc. The parameter is (or has an element that is) the wrong kind of geometry.

2) The join was successful, however, the resulting table has no rows. Create the join table with no records?

I don't know what the problem is (the shapefile is polygon), and I can't find the refresh button is. Once I got 1 join, but when I selected all, I got varying numbers of selected features - sometime all of them, sometimes a lesser number of selections. Sometimes the table would be empty.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SophineTsang
New Contributor II

@DionGood Can you convert the shapefile into file geodatabase feature class and try again? and what software (ArcMap / ArcGIS Pro) and version you are using now?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SophineTsang
New Contributor II

@DionGood Can you convert the shapefile into file geodatabase feature class and try again? and what software (ArcMap / ArcGIS Pro) and version you are using now?

0 Kudos
DionGood
New Contributor II

Why would this be better? I am using ArcGIS 10.6.1.

0 Kudos
DionGood
New Contributor II

I used the fgdb that the shapefile came from and it worked. Thank you. I guess shapefiles are now a deprecated file format.