Copy Attribute Data Between Similar Line Files

03-02-2022 11:46 AM
JenniferBergstrom
New Contributor II

I have a situation where I have 2 different road files (line files). One is the State road file, and one is our Highway Dept. road file. They were created separately by different organizations and do not spatially match each other, but are similar. I need to copy attribute fields from the State road file and copy into the Highway Dept. road file. Is there a way to do this?

I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1. Any help is appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A spatial join might work if the geometry is similar

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Same as Dan I can only think of a spatial join using the CLOSEST argument.  You're still going to have a nightmare of incorrect segment attribution.  Densifying the lines initially would help  but there could be lots of potential issues.

0 Kudos
JenniferBergstrom
New Contributor II

Thank you! I will try this.

0 Kudos
JenniferBergstrom
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, the State Road layer that I need to copy attributes from is cut up into different segments (with unique fields) than my Hwy Road layer. I somehow need to cut my Hwy Road layer into segments to match the State Road layer and then copy the attributes.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Possibly Densify (Editing)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation or generate points along lines then split line by point.

then re-run the spatial join.  You may also want to dissolve by road name at the end.

0 Kudos