Select to view content in your preferred language

Convert Graphics to Features

02-11-2012 08:43 AM
VinceMcDermott
Deactivated User
I am running ArcMap 10 in Win 7 and have made a map with several layers. I want to draw a simple rectangle to define an area of interest. I used the Draw tool's Rectangle tool to define the recatngle and I want to convert it to a feature shapefile so I can add it to other similar maps. The "Covert to Graphics Command" on the Drawing menu is "grayed out" and therfore does not respond.
Also, the convert to graphics command is not an option on my Advanced Editing toolbars. How can I convert graphics to features?
Tags (2)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Why not create an empty shapefile first (either within arccatalog or arctoolbox), then do the drawing there within an edit session
0 Kudos
VinceMcDermott
Deactivated User
Thanks, Dan. I did create a shapefile in ArcCatalog and gave it a name and geometry and carto similar to the other layers on the map. I added it to my map and selcted it in an editor session and then used the rectangle construction tool to create the feature and then saved the edits and closed the editing tool. Now I want to edit the shape but I can't select it and see the handles for re-shaping. How di now go about modifying the shape?
0 Kudos
michellecordrey
Deactivated User
I know this is an old question but had same problem and this thread came up so thought I would post my answer in case anyone else happened along.  I found out that when trying to convert graphic to feature in layout view it was "greyed" out and is only available when in data view.
GabrielSanya
New Contributor

This could be old but check out if you are in the map or layout view. You cannot perform the conversion in the layout view.

0 Kudos