Conversion To KMZ Isn't Working

12-07-2016 10:25 AM
LauraAnderson1
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcGIS 10.2.1 desktop and trying to convert a layer to KMZ from inside an MXD.  This process has worked before on multiple occasions.  The layer in question is sourced out of a SQL database on a networked server.  The layer is displaying properly, and the results window shows a successful completion, but no .KMZ is generated.  Here's a screen-grab of the results window showing inputs and environment settings.  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

The time lapse for the conversion is very fishy. And the input layer appears as a table versus point/line/polygon. Can you tell us a little about the input feature class?

-Adam Z

0 Kudos
LauraAnderson1
New Contributor III

It's a line FC.  It's a subset of a larger set defined by a simple definition query.  Again, it's worked previously.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you remove the definition query and try again?  Is the result the same?

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Good point. If Definition Query causing the issue, then you export the layer to a shapefile/feature class and then proceed with the conversion to KML.

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the layer visible (layer should be checked in Table of Contents) in ArcMap while converting to KML?

Think Location
LauraAnderson1
New Contributor III

Tried the conversion without the definition query with the same result - no KMZ.

Yes, the layer is checked and displaying properly when the conversion is started.

I was able to export the def queried layer to a shapefile and then generate the KMZ properly.  But, trying again with the original layer still did not work.

I'm beginning to think this may be tied into my MSSQL DB connection somehow.  A little more testing should confirm...

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Another thing to try is make a copy of the Feature Class in the geodatabase and run the GP tool against the new FC copy.  Could be a corrupt FC.

AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Maybe a bad geometry that was part of the original FC and subset selection? Could have been cleaned up during the export to new shapefile.

-Adam Z

LauraAnderson1
New Contributor III

Apologies for the delay in replying - it was one of those weeks. . .

This issue is also occurring when trying to create KMZ's with simple polygon and point shapes.

0 Kudos