Connection to PostgreSQL no longer workd

Jump to solution
11-18-2013 07:01 AM
DennisFalkenberg
New Contributor
We have a postgres server (9.2 with PostGIS 2.0.3) that we are trying to connect to with ArcGIS 10.2.  All the files from the Customer Care portal have been downloaded (the 32 bit version) and copied to the bin folder on the local pcs.  The connetion was working fine for one day & then the next morning the user name and passwords could not be found.  Any ideas on what may be happening?  The pg_hba.conf allows for all County users (which would be the users in question) are allowed access to the server.
Thanks - Dennis
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Is it possible that the IP addresses changed for the machines that can no longer connect?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
The connetion was working fine for one day & then the next morning the user name and passwords could not be found.  Any ideas on what may be happening?

'Save username and password' check box would be unchecked in ArcSDE Connection Properties. Provide the username/password,  check the 'Save username and password' check box and connect to the database.
0 Kudos
DennisFalkenberg
New Contributor
Thanks Nidhin,
We did check the save username and password the first day when the connection was allowed.
In the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\sdedc_PostgreSQL.log file, the following error is reported:

CAN'T OPEN INSTANCE: sde:postgresql.
Spatial Engine Connection Failed (-9).
Cannot Get Access to Instance sde:postgresql

The most "odd" part of this to me is that the connection worked one day for many users, but then failed to connect the next day.  I have been able to maintain access to the postgresql server throughout, but other users have lost it.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The question that needs to be asked anytime functionality suddenly changes is:
What changed on the PostgreSQL server?

- V
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Is it possible that the IP addresses changed for the machines that can no longer connect?
0 Kudos
DennisFalkenberg
New Contributor
Thanks for your help guys.
I have found what the trouble was.  The IT Department made some changes to the network, which changed the ranges of the IP addresses for some computers.  They gave me the new IPs to cover all the possible addresses, I put them in the pg_hba.conf file and all connections are happy once again.
Thank you for your time & help - Dennis
0 Kudos