Compressing SDE database

Jump to solution
06-23-2021 04:30 AM
MichelleThorne
New Contributor II

I am working in ArcGIS Desktop, 10.8.1 version, on Windows 10.  We discovered recently that when compressing the SDE database we are not compressing to 1.  We compress to 2.

We were told it is a bug and weren't sure when, or if this would be corrected but everything works in ArcPro.

Is this true that ArcGIS Desktop, 10.8.1 is unable to compress to 1?  

Thanks,

Michelle

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Getting to state "0" is a good thing, but not necessary. As long as the compress is successful and there not performance issues after, then state "2" is fine.

Here is a great article that talks about getting a full compress when the EGDB has replicas: https://community.esri.com/t5/esri-technical-support-blog/tips-for-compressing-with-existing-geodata...

I also know that you do not work in Pro, but I would start to look at migrating to using it.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
George_Thompson

I would say compressing to 1 or 2 is a good thing. Is there a specific reason you are trying to get to "1"?

Do you have a bug # for reference?

--- George T.
MichelleThorne
New Contributor II

BUG-000136627 : Diagnose Version Tables and Repair Version Tables fail and return Error 999999 when the sde_tables_locks table has the tables_locks_fk foreign key constraint.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

That defect does not impact the compress function. It is also listed as fixed at ArcGIS Pro 2.8.x

Are you having any performance issues after the compress to "2"?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
TylerDuffyETL
New Contributor

Commenting to let folks know: This bug report is intended to address the issue in ArcGIS Pro, but it worked for me on ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1 as well.

0 Kudos
MichelleThorne
New Contributor II

No issues I am aware of.  We just spent months with ESRI technician trying to get to 1.  It seemed important to the technician and the result was a somewhat work around, that may or may not always work, and that it is a bug, that may or may not get fixed by ESRI.  

The solution the tech gave, just seemed a bit vague, and we wondered it others were having issues, too. And how important is it to compress to 1?

We do not work in ArcGISPro.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Getting to state "0" is a good thing, but not necessary. As long as the compress is successful and there not performance issues after, then state "2" is fine.

Here is a great article that talks about getting a full compress when the EGDB has replicas: https://community.esri.com/t5/esri-technical-support-blog/tips-for-compressing-with-existing-geodata...

I also know that you do not work in Pro, but I would start to look at migrating to using it.

--- George T.
MichelleThorne
New Contributor II

Thank you

0 Kudos