Cleaning up polygon boundaries

Jump to solution
07-10-2017 02:58 AM
HåvardMoe1
New Contributor III

I'm having an issue with managing some data with errors in the polygon boundaries. The problem is that the software generating the data (delivered to me as Shape-files) will include some lines that are not the actual polygon boundary as part of the boundary. I'll try to show:

Bad polygon boundary

Above I have selected one of the problem polygons in ArcMap, Hereafter known as "Polygon 1". As you may see, there is a hole between Polygon 1 and Polygon 2. The south-western hole edge is part of the Polygon 2 boundary, while the other three side should form part of the Polygon 1 boundary.

The problem is that all the hole edges are included in the Polygon boundary, and this is causing problems later on when converting the data.

I have tried to Repair Geometry, but this only removes the hole and include the area into Polygon 1. Do anyone know a way clean up this ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
HåvardMoe1
New Contributor III

Hm... Might be helpful, but it seems to require a Data Reviewer license that I don't have. 

I have access to Desktop 10.3.1 (up to advanced), but not many extensions (apart from 3D/spatial analyst).

0 Kudos
HåvardMoe1
New Contributor III

I had not. I haven't worked much with topologies before, but from what I can see this does exactly what I'm after.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Topology is usually the best method, but here is an additional option:

Integrate—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Note that this tool modifies the input data, so make a backup copy of the source data before running it.

Chris Donohue, GISP