change an object to a different layer

10-25-2013 08:24 AM
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
is there a way to change a line from one layer to another? I am coming from a cad background and this was quite easy. Just wondering how it is done in arcmap. Thanks for any help you can give.

MKH
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
Just start an edit session in ArcMap on the layer that the line is going into. Select the line feature. Right click and copy and then right click and paste. A dialogue should open up and prompt you to choose the layer you want to paste it to. I believe you should be in 'data view' to do this, not 'layout view'
0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
thanks for the reply. That "copies" the object to a new layer, but doesn't "move" it to another layer. Is that correct or did I miss something.
Thanks again

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
Unless I'm missing something on why you want to do a physical 'move', I would just do the copy/paste and then delete from the original layer.
0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
maybe "move" was the wrong term. "Change" layers is what I want to do. It is easy for me to see what lines I have edited if I change them to a layer of different color/properties.
0 Kudos
MikeHenson
Occasional Contributor
I have started using this copy/past method. One thing I notice is the attributes on the layer I am copying don't copy to the new layer. Any idea how I can duplicate my attributes to the new layer?
0 Kudos
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
If you're considering transferring the attributes also from one field/s to another, you may want to consider using the simple data loader in the catalog window. 🙂
0 Kudos
DavidParker4
New Contributor II
Alternative way is in your data table add a field such as "Edited" when you do your edit enter a X in the field.  set you symbology to change the color of Edited = X to a different color than the unedited objects.  At the end of a editing session you could query all edited or not edited and save the result to a new file which will carry all the data along.

I'm using Map3D2014 & ArcMap10.2. 

dave
0 Kudos