Centroid of a line in ArcEditor

03-31-2011 06:28 PM
RodneyNielson1
New Contributor III
A need to be able to find the start point, mid point and end point of line segments in ArcEditor. I can do this in ArcInfo using the Feature to Point tool, but ArcEditor doen't have this tool. Does anyone know a work-around?

I have a number of gravel pits and a num,ber of sections of gravel road and am doing a Find Closest Facility analysis. This I can do in ArcInfo once I have created a point file for either the start, mid or end point of the lines. ArcEditor though doesn't have a nice easy tool fo determine these points.

Does anyone have an idea?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

As to my knowledge, you can get the vertices for the start and the end vertices by using EasyCalculate from http://www.ian-ko.com/.

There have been some methods available to get the midpoint programmatically without use of ArcInfo, but I guess you will have to search for them...

Please keep us updated if you will figure out the solution!
0 Kudos
RodneyNielson1
New Contributor III
The result ... Open the attribute table of the dataset and add 2 new double fields for X and Y coordinates. Then Right click on the new column heading (e.g. X) and scroll down the menu to "Calculate Geometry". Calculating "Length" is the default but in the drop down menu you can choose from calculating the start point for X and Y, the end point for X and Y or the Centroid of the line.

The same method can be used to calculate the centroid of a polygon and the solution works in both ArcEditor and ArcView.

Regards
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
True, totally missed this..
This is indeed a very convenient way to get the points!
Then you can visualize the points just by using Add XY data tool.
0 Kudos