Can't write feature classes to Linux samba share

Jump to solution
01-06-2015 01:41 PM
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm trying to write feature classes to a file gdb on a samba share (linux mint). I can create a file geodatabase and a feature dataset, but i can't import a feature class to it. It always throws an error 000210 which says it has invalid arguments and can't aquire a lock. I  can write anything else I want in the share: shapefiles, documents, geodatabases etc. The permissions appear to be wide open read and write for everyone.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

(Moved this discussion from File Geodatabase API)

I would note that avoiding network shares is best practice in file geodatabase use (ALL network shares, including NFS).  Samba is a particularly slow implementation.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

Is this in general or through the File Geodatabase API? What version of ArcGIS? Linux? Samba?

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

In general. You can create a file gdb in a samba share and it will have some functionality but you can’t import to it or do anything that creates a schema lock. I think locks get written and then can’t be unwritten regardless of permissions and such. I’ve long since given up on the file gdb and moved on to using postgres on that box. That was really painful to implement but it works.

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Xubuntu 14.04 (doesn’t work in CentOS either), samba 2:4.1.6+dfsg-1ubuntu2.14.04.7, 10.2.2 or 10.3

0 Kudos
FilipKrál
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I created a file geodatabase on our shared samba drive with ArcGIS 10.1. Then I created a polygon feature class in the geodatabse, added some columns and edited a polygon feature. In the end I deleted the whole geodatabase again from ArcCatalog window in ArcMap.

The only problem I encountered what that it was very slow to respond (perhaps due to network speed) but eventually everything worked fine. I cannot tell you any details about our samba setup though.

Filip.

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Filip,

Can you import or copy in a feature class from elsewhere? I can create things too (file gdb, feature class in that file gdb) but feature class to feature class bombs every time.

0 Kudos
FilipKrál

Hi Scott,

Yes, I can import or copy feature classes successfully.

Can it be something about your privileges on the drive you are trying to write to?

The `ls -l` command shows me that I am the owner and that I can do the following with the .gdb folder on samba:

drwxr-x---

and I can do the following with the files in the geodatabase folder:

-rw-r-----

I can even see the .lock files when ArcMap session is using some data from there and the lock files disappear when I close ArcMap.

F.

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

On my samba folder, I did a chmod –R 777. I can read and write anything other than a file gdb from an external source (like another geodatabase on a different server). Do you have any special parameters set in smb.conf for that share or globally? You’re using 10.1 right? I’m on 10.3. Could be a difference maybe?

0 Kudos
FilipKrál

Hi Scott, I know very little about samba drives so I'm not able to tell you whether there is anything special about our configuration, sorry.

F.

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Here’s what I get. See pdf.

0 Kudos