Can't View .dgn In ArcMap

05-31-2013 06:09 PM
JakeBailosky1
New Contributor
I have a roadway design .dgn file from MicroStation V8i (Select Series 3). I added it to ArcMap by right-clicking Layer in the catalog tree --> Add Data. The file was added to ArcMap but appears as a small blob that's too small to be seen and can't be zoomed in on to make viewable.  I tried to follow ArcGIS Resource Center guides to add the file but I'm guessing there's something I've overlooked and would appreciate for someone to help me identify and fix the issue.

The dgn is a final roadway design. I'm not sure what the coordinate system for the dgn is at this point but I'm under the impression that I should still be able to add and view the drawing. My goal is relatively simple, to project the drawing over one of ArcGIS' basemaps, I'm just stuck on this first step. Any advice is welcomed. The more specific the better. I've attached a screenshot and the project file for example.

Thanks in advance for your time.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: deedug

ArcGIS can not see Microstation Version 8 files, Only version 7. Open the file in Microstation and save as Version 7. Let me know how you get on as I just did a massive session on converting .dng files to feature class files.
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
New Contributor III
I have a roadway design .dgn file from MicroStation V8i (Select Series 3). I added it to ArcMap by right-clicking Layer in the catalog tree --> Add Data. The file was added to ArcMap but appears as a small blob that's too small to be seen and can't be zoomed in on to make viewable.  I tried to follow ArcGIS Resource Center guides to add the file but I'm guessing there's something I've overlooked and would appreciate for someone to help me identify and fix the issue.

The dgn is a final roadway design. I'm not sure what the coordinate system for the dgn is at this point but I'm under the impression that I should still be able to add and view the drawing. My goal is relatively simple, to project the drawing over one of ArcGIS' basemaps, I'm just stuck on this first step. Any advice is welcomed. The more specific the better. I've attached a screenshot and the project file for example.

Version 8 microstation files do not work in ArcMap. You have to open them in microstation and save them as Version 7. Then you can see them in ArcMap.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: StacyCulpepper

Jbeesky did you find a solution yet?  I use Arc 10.0 and MS v8i Select 3 also.  I have no problem adding DGNs, SO LONG AS they have geospatial coordinates and not simply x,y origin being 0,0 (paper space).  The dgn doesn't have to have a prj file although that helps.  Open up the dgn in MS, do a data point close to a known geographic coordinate and see what the value is, if it doesn't match the general area of your map, that's the problem.

Stacy
william.s.culpepper.ctr@mail.mil
0 Kudos