Can't update schematic diagram

12-12-2014 01:21 PM
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

I can edit schematic diagram and save my changes just fine, but when I try to synchronize my diagram with the source features it runs through the builder but gets caught at the 'saving diagram' screen.

On one specific diagram it gets caught while running a 2nd pass of my only rule which is just a standard reducing 0 and 2 connection nodes rule.  Not sure if it matters but this is the only instance I've ever seen of a 2nd pass being processed.

In nearly identical fashion to the almost same issue I had posted about being unable to save schematic changes, it looks like the diagrams are SOMETIMES getting updated, but it still requires me to kill the program - reopen it - and unlock my diagram each time I synchronize my diagram.  What is causing this issue?

I need to be able to properly update these diagrams otherwise schematic serves no function.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

I've been exploring this issue and noticed a very strange aspect.  I selected my entire schematic and ran propagate to map, which took about an hour or so to process, it did select all the features that were originally used to generate the schematic but it also selected a large number of random features that were nowhere near the area this schematic was created for.

However the reverse of this is not true, I cleared selection and then selected one of the random features to see what part of schematic diagram it was related to, but nothing came up from running propagate to schematic.

So now I'm even more lost than ever.

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

On the plus side, it seems I can update the diagram, but it does take roughly an 45 minutes to process.  I have no idea why it's taking so long, but another oddity happened.  I ran the same test I did before.  I selected all diagram features then propagated selection to map.  This time I got the reverse of my previous results.  Nothing extra was selected but a handful of diagram features didn't propagate to their map counterparts.  While one of these worked correctly when selected individually, it doesn't function properly when selected with a large group.

still looking for any explanations/solutions

0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III

Is your geometric network functioning properly?  For example, if you try to just run a find connected trace with 1 starting flag, how long does it take and are you seeing strange results from that operation?  If you create a new fgdb, with a schematic dataset and just basic config (no rules etc...) does the same problem happen?  A schematic diagram is just reflecting what is currently in the underlying network index for a geometric network.

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

running a trace only takes about 4 seconds

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

What version of software are you using?  Sounds like maybe an issue with spatial index due to the node reduction happening.

In Catalog, right click the Schematics schematic dataset in your database

1. Click Show/Hide Schematic Classes option
  2. Expand the tree so you can see the schematic feature classes that are now exposed.
  3. For each line schematic feature class, right click and choose properties, then do the following 2 steps
  4. Click the Indexes tab and click the Delete button at bottom in the spatial index area
  5. Click Apply

After this, see if generating/updating is any better.  If not, I would need to get a copy of the dataset so we can dig into it more.

0 Kudos
DavidLehrke
New Contributor III

Deleted the spatial index before I created these diagrams

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

Are you automatically (or manually) applying a layout algorithm to the entire diagram?  Wondering if the parameters being used are causing the issue.  Can you just export the schematic dataset (no diagrams) to a FGDB and provide it so we can look at the configuration?

0 Kudos