Can't save rasters with output format GRID

12-03-2012 05:09 AM
JoannaGrand
New Contributor
I am frequently getting the attached error message when I try to run various geoprocessing functions and save the output to GRID format.  I know the problem is not in the Python code because it successfully completes when I change the output format to TIFF.  I've been told by ESRI support that this is related to a corrupt output directory but even when I delete the entire output directory and create a new one with a different name the problem persists.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I need to give up on using GRID format? 

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
is \esmdevag supposed to /esmdevag?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you switch the format of the output, will the script work?  If so they I would consider testing whether or not you can actually use the Create Raster Dataset and create a raster at that location with the normal geoprocessing tool. I have seen plenty of situations where GRIDs for whatever reason do not play well across network locations. The issues seem to be network and are extremely difficult to pin down. So for me, I would test to see if you can in fact create an empty GRID there at that location.  If it fails or if you see a 1 bit file with the name you used, then I would consider another format.  You can process a .tif or .img in other processes and get the desired results, you do not have to maintain the GRID format.
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
On Linux the grid names must be lower case (same for coverages).

Steve
0 Kudos
JoannaGrand
New Contributor
Thanks for the responses!  I tried Jeff's suggestion of creating an empty grid in that location and it failed with the attached error message.  It produced a folder with the correct name with these two files in it:  dblbnd.adf (1kb) and hdr.adf (1kb). 

Often when I run python scripts or manually run tools I get an error message that says it failed but it actually produced good output.  Obviously, this is a huge problem for scripts since it causes them to crash. 

I do all of my geoprocessing across network locations so if that's the issue I guess I do need to consider switching formats.  Everything works fine when I output to TIFF format.  So is this network problem only an issue with GRID format? 

Thanks again for your help!
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
GRID can be written to any network location as long as you have permission to write there.  Not that someone shouldn't figure out why you can't write GRID's to your location, but if Tiff is working for you, why do you need the Esri GRID format?  Tiff works with a lot more applications than our proprietary format GRID.

-Eric
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
grid name can't have a space. Try changing ct_ma test to ct_ma_test

steve
0 Kudos