Can I do offline editing of an SDE database, or edit in a file Geodatabase and upload to SDE

Jump to solution
11-13-2014 02:45 PM
IanBailey
New Contributor III

I have an arcsde geodatabase version 10.2 in SQL server express with 2 large geometric networks that runs extremely slow when I try to edit. I've talked to support about it and they said that SQL server express is limited in the amount of memory it tasks to a user and that could be slowing down the editing. I'm the only editor of our database so if I could maintain a copy of our database on my PC, and upload changes to the server as needed it should speed up edits considerably. Is there a way to do that efficiently using distributed databases? or a model that automatically uploads changes at night.

Thanks for any advice,

-Ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ian,

You could create a checkout replica.  A checkout replica will allow you to replicate data from an SDE Geodatabase to a File Geodatabase.  You will then be able to synchronize the changes back to the SDE Geodatabase.  However, with a checkout replica, you can only synchronize the edits one time.  After the synchronization, you will need to create the checkout replica again.  To automate this, you can easily create a model/script that creates the checkout replica each morning.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ian,

You could create a checkout replica.  A checkout replica will allow you to replicate data from an SDE Geodatabase to a File Geodatabase.  You will then be able to synchronize the changes back to the SDE Geodatabase.  However, with a checkout replica, you can only synchronize the edits one time.  After the synchronization, you will need to create the checkout replica again.  To automate this, you can easily create a model/script that creates the checkout replica each morning.

0 Kudos
IanBailey
New Contributor III

Thanks for the tip Jake this works great.

0 Kudos