Calculate created_user

05-19-2016 12:36 PM
TamiMaddio
New Contributor III

Is there a way to change the values in the "created_user" field after a record has been added?  I did a mass import to a feature class and the created user is the data owner and schema name "General".  I'd like to change it to a person's name or actually multiple people based on another field.  The field calculator won't let me change the values and I can't do it in SQL Server or at least I haven't been successful yet at doing that.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Are you getting an error message using the field calculator? Did you enclose the name in quotes? "Some Name" What is the field type of the field? String, Long, Short

0 Kudos
TamiMaddio
New Contributor III

The field is not editable in ArcGIS.  I'm looking for a way to do a 1 time update to the field based on the values in another field.  I have the users' names in another field that I'd like to place into the "created_user" field.  It is a Text field that is automatically added when enabled on the feature class.

0 Kudos
LinnartBaeker
New Contributor II

Did you actually solve this problem?

0 Kudos
PanGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. Seen this question up and even though the original one is old and probably solved I will reply to you Linnart.

What I tried and seems to be working fine:

1. Enable the Editor Tracking

2. Disable it (once is enabled the 4 fields are created and not deleted)

3. Once disabled, You can modify the created user (with field Calculator, copy/paste from another field, or on by one)

4. When you are ready and finished the editing, in Catalog go to the properties of the feature: "Editor Tracking" Tab

5. Click on Enable editor tracking and here choose all the fields accordingly (please note that you can use even a text field created by you: i have created "Created_User_Custom"). Set all fields and Time, Apply, OK, and you should be fine.

Let me know

0 Kudos