CAD to GIS

Jump to solution
05-14-2015 06:54 AM
deleted-user-Pi5x1UjkS2PY
New Contributor II

I am importing CAD files (stores plans) dwf/dwg into our ArcGIS system.  Everything seems fine on that front except that I would like it to come in at the actual size of the store.  In AutoCAD we do not have any geo referencing to the file however I would think with it being drawn to scale that I should at least be able to bring it in at that same scale just not the right place in the world.  When I bring these files in they come in much larger than scale.  Any trick or tips on how to do that.  I would rather not do any manual adjusting.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Kudos
22 Replies
New Contributor II

That is an interesting way to go and I actually tested that but using the CAD2PDF.  Gonna look at that now. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor II

That is interesting but didn't help much.  I can't georeference those layers and it only does one of them at a time (point, line etc.)  Would take a while and without being able to scale them easily makes it harder.

Again interesting idea.  Had my hopes up.  Nothing is ever that easy these days.

0 Kudos
MatthewDuffy
Occasional Contributor II

This will simply put the data into a GIS format that contains complete attribution from everything that was in the CAD file.  Without the spatial reference existing on the CAD side, the features will simply be converted to a shapefile.  You can then use the GIS tools within ArcMap to manually move and rotate the features to their appropriate location, save them, and then export them to your final geodatabase feature class.  Its one way anyhow, probably not the most elegant, but when you need it RIGHT NOW, it has worked well for me.  Honestly I've often wonder why ESRI doesn't embed something like this within their suite...maybe they did and I missed it, that is entirely possibly too.