CAD to Geodatabase - bug 2

02-29-2016 02:18 AM
FilipJung
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have came across a problem with loading some Microstation drawings in ArcGIS 10.3. The problem is that some lines are marked as Complex Multiline. During run of the CAD to Geodatabase tool, it throws an exception that the value 'Complex Multiline' could not be written into Entity field. That is right beacuse the field length is only 16 and the text has 17 characters. I would like to report it as a bug. Can you confirm, that it already is registered or resolved in 10.3.1 or 10.4? Thank you.

Best regards

Filip

P.S.: Since I had a bunch of such a drawings, that needed to be imported into GDB, I had to deal with it somehow: The workaround was to separate the import process to Import CAD Annotation tool for annotations and using Create Feature Class with template that has the Entity field set to e.g. 20 and then using the Append to load Polyline data from drawings. I can share the Python code if anyone is interested.

I submitted same question also to Esri Technical Support group on Feb 17, but got no answer yet.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you try to load data into an existing schema, the data should "fit". It sounds logically to me that an error is produced when you try fitting 17 characters in a field that allows only 16. The same will happen when doing this with a normal featureclass (not CAD drawing).

0 Kudos
FilipJung
Occasional Contributor

Yes it sounds logically but the out-of-the-box CAD to Geodatabase geoprocessing tool has no schema settings so it throws an error on such a Microstation drawing.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If the tool assumes a schema and then generates the error, since the schema is not suitable for the CAD data, then you should report it as a bug.

0 Kudos
FilipJung
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I tried to post this into Esri Technical Support group here in GeoNet but will resend it directly to our local distributor to forward it to the Esri.

0 Kudos
FilipJung
Occasional Contributor

I contacted our local support and they forwarded the problem to Esri as BUG-000094797 Multiline entities from Microstation DGN file display correctly at 10.3 in ArcMap but display is wrong at 10.3.1

Filip

0 Kudos