Building Geometric Network throws error "attempted on empty geometry"

10-07-2014 02:15 PM
TedLyman
New Contributor

In SDE geodatabase, unregistered the dataset, and attempted to build a network with two features: linear, simple edge, and point, simple junction. Allowed defaults throughout.

Result:

"Build Geometric Network failed.

"The object has been deleted and is no longer valid (referencing the BUILDERR table)
:File read/write error occurred.

"The operation was attempted on an empty geometry."

Exported the two layers to a file geodatabase and ran a Check Geometry from Toolbox.

Result: empty table for each layer.

Only help reference in ArcMap is use of the geo-network toolbar, but that requires the network to exist.

What next?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

Does the BUILDERR table contain records to identify the problem features?

From ArcGIS Desktop help:

Features with invalid geometries are identified during the network building process and recorded in the network build errors table. The table is identified as the geometric network's name appended with _BUILDERR

0 Kudos
TedLyman
New Contributor

Owen, thanks but no joy.

The BUILDERR table is not created -- probably the reference in the error message: "The object has been deleted and is no longer valid."

I can build the g-network on the two features exported to a file geodb (having run a check geometry on both with 0 records resulting).

Next step would be to try importing the complete network set back into the sde version but that seems like a cumbersome work around.

0 Kudos
DavidCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hi Ted,

let's try to get you beyond this error.  And hopefully I can provide you a better workaround than creating the network in a file Geodatabase and then importing back into your enterprise geodatabase. 

Couple things I would need to be able to lend any advice. 

1. What Enterprise Geodatabase DBMS are you using?

2. What release of ArcGIS are you using? 

3. Anything else special about your setup/installation that I should be aware of.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
TedLyman
New Contributor

Hi David,

We're running SQL Sever 2008 R2.

GIS Server is v9.3, desktop is 10.2.2. That shouldn't be an issue since I believe geometric networks in two other datasets were created under the same conditions.

The build network routine has been tried in both the default and a child version of the GDB. No difference in the results.

0 Kudos
DavidCrawford
Esri Contributor

Hi Ted,

I've done some work on my end to replicate your environment, but I've been unable to reproduce the error you're running into.  This would be an issue I would recommend that you contact our Support team directly about.  There must be something unique to your setup or data, that a support analyst could help you with.  If there is a bug here, support can help us identify that, and then get the incident submitted to development to investigate. 

Sorry I couldn't come up with a solution for you via this forum.

Thanks,

David Crawford

0 Kudos