Basic license exporting into SQL Server

Jump to solution
10-24-2017 08:53 PM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

I have no need for an Enterprise Geodatabase.  However, I was using an advanced license with ArcGIS Pro to export/copy simple polygon featureclasses directly into SQL Server 2016 (stored as native geoms).

This was done through simply copying my layer in the catalog pane, and pasting into the database connection to a SQL Server instance (no Enterprise Geodatabase).  

However, I now have a basic license and it would appear that I can't perform this operation.  Can someone confirm this is expected behavior?  I assumed Basic would let me still work with SQL Server native spatial tables?

And if so, is there a good workaround for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor
3 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Desktop 10.5: ArcMap Functionality Matrix

Check Page -30 as per the above PDF.

SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

I missed that.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Other than bumping up to Standard, if this is the only capability I require, can anyone suggest some workarounds?

I have used shp2sql tool in the past, but perhaps this process would be suitable for something like GDAL?  From memory this has capability to read from a file geodatabase and write into SQL Server.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I haven't tried it myself, but it seems one could use Features To JSON—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop to export the data as GeoJSON and then load it into SQL Server using a technique outlined in Loading GeoJSON data into SQL Server | SQL Server Database Engine Blog