Automate digitizing based on GPS coordinates

08-18-2015 08:16 AM
KIMULINTEZA
New Contributor

I am digitizing point features onto collected GPS points by hand but I would like to auto-create these features and have them snapped to the GPS points in arcmap. Do I need to use some python scripts or is there any other idea on how to do this?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

There's several ways this could be done, depending upon your data.  Here's two easy ways:

1. Instead of digitizing new point features on top of the existing ones, why not make a copy of the existing GPS point features and keep the ones you need.  You could attribute them, then delete the unattributed ones when you are done to eliminate any unneeded ones.

2. Another approach would be to create a table of the new points and their attributes, add a field to it with the matching ID of the GPS point, then do a Spatial Join, then export as a new feature class only the matching records.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
JenniferMcCall4
Occasional Contributor III

If your GPS points are in a tabular format, you can easily create a feature class from the points, instead of digitizing them.  Refer to resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s50000001z000000 for more information on how to accomplish this.