Select to view content in your preferred language

Auto-Incrementing ObjectID Field Outside of ArcGIS

Jump to solution
06-12-2015 02:09 PM
KyleHeulitt
New Contributor II

I have migrated a Filemaker Pro database to an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server Express so that it can be viewed/edited in both Filemaker Pro and ArcGIS.  I'd like the ObjectID field in both feature classes and stand-alone tables to auto-increment when new records are added in Filemaker Pro.  I thought I could do this using the Identity data type in SQL Server but it does not appear that this data type is supported in ArcGIS (http://support.esri.com/cn/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40329).  I also don't appear to be able to alter this field in Filemaker to make it auto-increment.  Just wondering how people deal with this - is manually entering the value the only way to update the ObjectID field outside of ArcGIS?  This doesn't seem ideal.  Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
KyleHeulitt
New Contributor II

RE: Christian Well's Blog

I see how this would work within SQL Server Management Studio - but are you saying it is possible to set up a trigger or stored procedure which would auto-complete the ObjectID field when adding a record in Filemaker Pro?

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, you should be able to easily re-purpose the code example from that blog into a trigger or stored proc

0 Kudos