Attributes Disappearing in ArcPro Points Feature Class

04-08-2019 02:20 PM
Harris_Joel
New Contributor

Hello all. I'm creating a points feature class in ArcPro and then typing attributes into my pre-created fields in the table as I go, but often (but not every time) when I move on to the next point, previous attributes dissappear. Even when I save edits 1st. Why? It's super frustrating and holding back my progress. arcpro ‌

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

I may be having the same or similar issue.  I make a change to a point feature attribute using a coded domain list, only to see the feature disappear when apply the change and save it.  If I edit the attribute again and select the original value from the list, the feature reappears.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Are you using Single Symbology or another symbology type?  Please advise.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Robert,

Unique values.

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jay - so I'm wondering that it may have to do with the new value is not in the Unique Values list for symbolization.  One way to test this is set the symbology back to Single Symbol and then set it back to Unique Values (add all values).  Does the behavior persist?  Another way is in the existing Unique Value symbology pane, click Add Value and see if there's a new value to add to the symbology list.

JayHodny

Good evening Robert,

Bingo! I noticed a subtle difference in the codes in the domain. I recall changing the text slightly, but forgetting to update the values in the symbology list. Lesson learned. I did lose the symbology when adding the items, but I have the layer file I can reapply. Many thanks!

Sincerely,

Jay

JayHodny

Hi Robert,

I dawned on me that if I apply the same layer file, I end up back where I was before. Thus, I recreated the symbology, and all is well.

Thanks again for your help,

Jay

JamesRoberts
New Contributor

Could someone answer the original question?  I'm having the same issue, and it's very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

James/Joel - did my response higher up in this thread resolve the question?  Please advise.  If not, then I will look at other solutions.

0 Kudos
JamesRoberts
New Contributor

No, your response addressed the "similar issue" that Jay Hodny was seeing (features disappearing when changing attributes using domains).  My problem is the same as the original post:  "I'm creating a points feature class in ArcPro and then typing attributes into my pre-created fields in the table as I go, but often (but not every time) when I move on to the next point, previous attributes dissappear. Even when I save edits 1st. Why? It's super frustrating and holding back my progress."   

There are no domains involved - just adding points to a simple shapefile and populating the attributes.  When adding the next point, the attributes for the previous point often disappear.

0 Kudos