Select to view content in your preferred language

Attribute table to CSV

Jump to solution
02-20-2018 09:37 AM
RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Hi, I have an attribute table with 5 million rows.  I would like to export this to csv.  Unfortunately my first tries are not successful.  I have tried table to excel and export to txt file & dbf file.  From my searches in google and here in the community, I cannot believe that just a csv export will require python or an additional install or a third party software.  Am I missing any built in tool? .  I would appreciate if you can guide a beginner since I have no idea how to run a python program. Or could give me any guidance how to achieve a CSV from table.

Thank you.

Ronald

UAE

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Cool. (I find myself following along much easier now, which means all your efforts have not been in vain!) Loadtxt can skip rows too I see...

You've seen how ugly those dumps from the mainframe are: trailing spaces as wide as the field is defined.  Lots of clean up....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Try exporting it first to a personal geodatabase.

Then go to the database in Access and export it from there as .csv

RonMan
by
New Contributor III

Thank you all for suggesting the different methods. All your responses are very informative.

The export feature attributes to ascii was able to export successfully a csv file as big as 11 million records.

Regards,

Ron

ErinGrimm1
New Contributor

Hey Ron,

Glad the "to ascii" worked for you. I will have to try that. I had a table recently with 3.8 million records and was having  a heck of a time finding a solution. While the help page from the Table to Table tool mentioned .csv was possible, there weren't any examples that jumped out at me. I forgot where I found it, but it was as simple as adding ".csv" to the file name for my exported table which allowed the Table to Table tool to recognize I wanted CSV and not a DBF. 

Sounds like you found a solution, but wanted to document this here in case someone else is looking for answers.

JpersonalLundquist
New Contributor III

Well, I believe current Excel and Libre Office Calc can only handle 1,000,000 records. So, they just can't read it. dbf and txt are the next choice from my experience. Good topic, thanks.