ArcSDE on a different server than Oracle

01-13-2014 04:32 AM
DavisGrier
New Contributor
I'm having difficulty with this.

I've followed the installation instructions, but when attempting to start SDE I get an error:
"Operation Failed, Unable to start iomgr."

ArcSDE is installed on a RHEL 6.4 machine, which uses xinetd rather than inetd as it's service daemon. Adding the service requires slightly different steps as compared to with inetd.

in /etc/xinetd.d/ I created esri_sde which contains

service esri_sde
{
        disable = no
        socket_type = dgram
        wait = yes
        server = /opt/test/sde/sdeexe102/bin/sderemote
        server_args = iomgr_inetd
        user = sde
        protocol = udp
        type = INTERNAL
        id = time-dgram
}

/etc/xinetd.d itself was edited to contain
"esri_sde"

/etc/services was edited to contain esri_sde and port number.

I am not clear on the contents of the dbinit.sde file

The following is example information copied from http://help.arcgis.com/en/geodatabase/10.0/admin_cmds/support_files/serveradmin/sdemon.htm

set ORACLE_HOME=/bluebeard/oracle
set ORACLE_SID=ora
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/bluebeard/oracle/lib:/bluebeard/oraexe/sdeexe91/lib

What is the value of ORACLE_HOME?
Oracle is not installed on the same machine as SDE. There is no ORACLE_HOME for this machine.

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
There's several things wrong here.  First of all, there really is no need to run an application server
with ArcGIS 10.2 at all, much less on a remote server (which has never been recommended).

Remote service start has always been flightly, and never easy to configure.  Since the application
server isn't necessary, remote start is even less so.

Finally, if you are going to run an application server on a remote host, you MUST install Oracle client
software on that host -- there is no way to make a connection without Oracle libraries.  You must also
know enough about the Oracle server instance to configure the TNSNAMES to connect to the instance.
And you'll need to put the actual software locations in the ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variables.

Best practice would be to configure Oracle Instant Client on your GIS workstation(s), run the Create
Enterprise Geodatabase tool, configure the listener for ST_GEOMETRY, create tablespaces for geodata,
create users to hold the geodata, create roles to manage the geodata, and then move on to data
loading and geodatabase use.

- V
0 Kudos