ArcSDE and Oracle 11.2.03

04-01-2013 02:14 PM
Occasional Contributor III
Hello!  I see in the documentation that Oracle 11.2.03 is not compatible with ArcSDE.  Does anyone have any details about this?  Our IT upgraded their Oracle, and we're looking for a way to support them.  Our GIS is in SQL Server, and in the past, we have replicated some datasets to Oracle for their use.  Looks like they may be out of luck... any input is welcome.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Do you offer that info simply as a recommendation, or are you also suggesting it is related to the error I reported in my initial post?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I expect that an upgrade will be your solution.  ArcGIS may occasionally forget that
an upgrade is necessary, but I've never seen it erroneously request one.

- V
0 Kudos
Thanks for your time; I appreciate the insight!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I just realized it might not be perfertly clear that I'm recommending you upgrade
the "10.0 SP3 (Oracle 10g)" geodatabase to "10.0 SP3 (Oracle 11g)".

- V
0 Kudos
Yes, thanks; that is what I understood you to suggest.  I will update the thread once I have completed the upgrade; I'm waiting on my DBA to migrate the st_geometry library, then I will ask him to grant the SDE user the necessary privileges.  Update soon [hopefully].  Thanks again!
0 Kudos
DavidSwenson
New Contributor III
Just to get back to the original question and make sure it is answered for others that might find this thread.

We build ArcSDE on specific platform and DBMS combinations. We often certify certain higher DBMS releases. For example we build on Oracle 11.1.0.7.0 and certify Oracle 11.2.0.1.0. You can find our support policy on higher versions of Oracle releases and patches if you scroll down the System Requirements web page to "Oracle database patch support". We do not test every DBMS patch and minor release. Oracle 11.2.0.2.0 and 11.2.0.3.0 are considered patches of Oracle 11.2.0.1.0 and not significant releases. On very rare occasions problems will be identified with a DBMS patch and ArcSDE. When this happens we work with the customer and/or the DBMS manufacturer to resolve the problem.

--David
0 Kudos