Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcSDE 9.1 to ArcSDE 10.1 Documented Differences

07-03-2014 06:59 AM
JenniferDick
Deactivated User
Hello,

The organization I work for is currently using ArcSDE 9.1 (we are aware that ESRI does not support this platform anymore) and we
are working towards upgrading to 10.1 this year. There are multiple reasons why we are still on 9.1.

However, what I'm interested in is a white paper or noted points about the striking differences between the versions (9.1 & 10.1), for example - double precision in 10.1 vs. single precision 9.1. This information is critical for knowledge transfer and understanding of the upgrade.

I'm looking for sources or points of information to fully comprehend what the upgrade will consist of. 

Appreciate any help!

Thank you in advance,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
12 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Right, the precision coordinate value doesn't increase accuracy it simple provides a higher resolution of the coordinate grid. So features can be as close a nanometers instead, previously I believe it was 2 cm.

Precision is somewhat arbitrary -- I could store sub-nanometer data in 9.1 if I wanted, but I didn't want to.

In fact, you get significantly better performance if you don't use the default sub-millimeter precision

(a smaller xyscale is also a smaller delta between vertices, and therefore compresses better, reducing

storage size and improving performance).

So recommended testing steps moving forward then would be to utilize the sdequery utility to test to 9.1 tables and the 10.1 tables using the query you noted above. All we would be testing is simple feature classes, non of them participate in relationships, etc.

I hesitate to call this a "recommended" procedure, since it is unsupported software, but for simple data

transition, the 'sdequery' utility (with the CTL option to fashion a control file for import), combined with

the 'asc2sde' utility can quickly and efficiently load all your data.  You can also use it to control the

resulting coordinate reference parameters, column renaming, column addition, and STRING/NSTRING

transition.  The problem is learning to use a new suite of tools (and their quirks), just for transition (new

tools that are now deprecated, since they won't be available at 10.3).

Question on the non-OBJECTID key, would be put in this non-OBJECTID column manually before the transfer to 10.1? I see where you are going with this.....

Actually, you can retain the old ID if you use a USER-set rowid at first, then alter it to SDE-set (which

ArcGIS requires), or you can rename the input column and construct a new OBJECTID on the fly.

In the asc2sde control file, this would look like:

OBJECTID        Sequence()    -  10  N

ORIGID          Int32         -  10  Y

I didn't even mention spatial defragmentation, which intentionally reorders data for optimal spatial

query performance (and would therefore hose OBJECTIDs).

On the coordinate reference scale side of things....where would we put in this multiplier?

You wouldn't.  In fact, Desktop makes it very difficult to use your own preferred coordref.  But if you're

using 'asc2sde' to load, you could just change the COORDREF_XY from "-210,-120,1000000" to

"-400,-400,10000000" to cut 11cm precision to 1.1cm with more elbow room.

- V

JenniferDick
Deactivated User

Thanks Vince appreciate the help, if I come across any more questions I'll send you a message.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In theory, you should be able to use a modern 'se_toolkit' build against a 9.1 instance

(via an application server connection), but I haven't tested that.  My build environment

no longer includes 9.1 developer libraries, but if it becomes an issue, I can make a

one-off build (albeit on an modern OS).  Join the new "se-toolkitters" group for

announcements on new builds.

- V

0 Kudos