ArcMAP User Level

12-21-2015 05:03 PM
RenaldCuevas
New Contributor

I was wondering if i can put a password (User Level) in the ARC map editor? in which other users cant do editing and other users can only edit some geodatabase? or there is an other way around with this kind?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is this a local install or a network install? How is access to the data controlled?

RenaldCuevas
New Contributor

Access to data is through Network (Server Data) and the ArcMAP is in each Desktop of the persons in charge.

i would like to make the data to have a password which Person A could only do the Data A..

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is a whole load of stuff in the help topics using ... edit permissions ... as a key phrase search.  Really depends on what you are doing.  for example... Alter permissions—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

RenaldCuevas
New Contributor

I dont have ArcGIS server and SDE, We only have in the office is the ArcGIS for Desktop.

is there any other way around for me to lock my database for being edited by other ArcGIS Viewer/User in our network?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You would have to talk to your staff about restricting access to your data probably in a restricted folder.  But this is of little use, if others have to use it

RenaldCuevas
New Contributor

if i restrict my data folder, would other user could still view it on their ArcMAP?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you have the folders as read-only at the system folder level, for those that need to see it but not edit, it should work.

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I have a simular case with a client who restricted access to a folder with File Geodatabases. If a user cannot write to that location, it may cause problems, since ArcGIS will want to create lock files and can't...

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The preferred solution would be SDE (but you don't have that). Another one (not recommended), would be to duplicate the data and provide access to the copy of the data that should only view it and implement some synchronization mechanism.