ArcGIS Diagrammer Announcements

04-22-2010 09:23 AM
KatsuraIizuka
New Contributor
Please note that...

1. This is the place to post your ArcGIS Diagrammer questions!

2. Any comments and ideas about diagramming tools can be posted here.

3. New version of ArcGIS Diagrammer with ArcGIS 10 release will be posted here.
0 Kudos
34 Replies
GeoffreyBrady
New Contributor
Did you ever figure this out?
0 Kudos
GeoffreyBrady
New Contributor
Defining Topology in ArcGIS Diagrammer.

I am having trouble establishing Topology rules.  I have added a Topology to the diagram and linked it to the Feature Dataset and added some rules.  When I run it I get the error:

[INDENT]Getting error Load xml data failed - The topology rule is invalid/malformed.[/INDENT]

To try and understand where I am going wrong, I decided to create a XML file from ArcCatalog that includes a topology and review in ArcGIS Diagrammer.  While helpful, this did not solve my problem.

I eventually noticed that the feature class I wanted topology for has a  ControllerMembership property. This was hard-coded to the original name of the Topology created by the XML export.  Changing the name of the Topology in the XML file created by export did not result in this property being updated - and the modified XML generated the error above.   

The ControllerMembership property for Topology holds the Weight, XYRank and ZRank - key components of the Topology.  You cannot manually create one - it is an abstract class.  So I would expect it to be added as a Topology is added to the Diagram

I then tried to define a series of actions within Diagrammer that results in this being populated.  I could not.  My actions are listed below:

1. Create Feature Dataset

2. Create FeatureClass and link to Feature Dataset

3. Add topology to diagrammer

4. Link Topology to Feature Dataset

5. Defined 2 topology rules, picking the feature class created at step 2

At this stage the ControllerMembership in the featureclass does not have any reference to the Topology.  I think for the model to work, it needs to.  But - how ??

Questions:

How do you add a Topology to the Diagrammer ?   (ie: What actions do you have to perform and how do you define the topology against the featureclass ? )

How do you manage Weight, XYRank, ZRank etc ?

I have attached 2 XML files.  One was exported by Catalog, and the other has had the Topology name changed.  The first XML file works, the second does not.  Note that the name includes the database owner and schema from my Dev environment - which is not what I really want for my real environment.

Environment : ArcGIS 10.0 SP 3.  ArcSDE 10.0 SP 3, RDBMS = SQL Server 2008 R2

Did you ever figure out the topology problem?
0 Kudos
BrittJohnson
New Contributor III
Any timeline as to when Diagrammer for 10.1 will be available?
0 Kudos
MuryadiOey
New Contributor III
I just tried to download Diagrammer from http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5af1723bab4e413bae63dd89daa87984 but it always failed as server is not responding. Does someone know whether I can find the source in another site?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
RobertWright1
New Contributor III
I just tried to download Diagrammer from http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5af1723bab4e413bae63dd89daa87984 but it always failed as server is not responding. Does someone know whether I can find the source in another site?

Thank you.

Try this site: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geodatabase/details?entryID=F12ADF8F-1422-2418-34B2-C276C6B...
Think they moved the old location.
0 Kudos
MohsenKalantari
New Contributor
Hi,

I am getting "Subtype Field 'type' does not exist" error in AD 10.0.1. I do not have any Subtype in my model. the error is apparently linked to a Feature class.

any ideas?

many thanks
Mohsen
0 Kudos
PaulBrandt
New Contributor III
I like the new interface for the 10.1 ArcGIS Diagrammer tool. It is very intuitive, and will be very helpful in building out geodatabases and maintaining our documentation of our geodatabases.

A couple of suggestions I have to improve it:
1. The concept of a list (domain) of fields, similar to the functionality in CA Erwin where they have a domain of fields. CA Erwin doesn't limit you to the domain of fields, but if you add a field to a table/feature class from the domain, and you update the domain, all fields based on that domain are also updated. This would be great functionality for those that work with large diagrams.
2. The ability to easily move fields from one table to another. We have a standard set of fields that go on most of our tables/feature classes, such as LastUser, CreateUser, LastModified, CreateDate and it would be great if I could just copy/paste or drag/drop those from one place to another.
3. Add the ability to export the diagram to Visio (or a standard format that Visio like tools support) with similar output to the ArcGIS 10 version of the Diagrammer tool. We use this quite extensively to communicate internally between people who don't need all the functionality of nor need the knowledge on how to use the Diagrammer tool.
4. The ability to have multiple views of a geodatabase. We have some large geodatabases, which would benefit from the ability to separate some portions of the geodatabase out into more simple views of the different subject area's.

Thank you for this great tool.
0 Kudos
liliaastopino
New Contributor
As I can install on windows 8 ArcDiagrammer having. Net framework and ArcGIS 10.1, please help
0 Kudos
GIS-Cambria
Occasional Contributor II
Is there an update to ArcGIS Diagrammer for 10.2? This is a great tool, I hope it continues to follow ArcGIS updates.
0 Kudos
RichieCarmichael
Esri Contributor
Is there an update to ArcGIS Diagrammer for 10.2? This is a great tool, I hope it continues to follow ArcGIS updates.

Hi,

ArcGIS Diagrammer for 10.2 is available here.

Regards,
Richie
0 Kudos