ArcGIS Clipping

02-26-2018 04:38 PM
Mitchell_Crameri
New Contributor

Hi,

I am new to ArcGIS and have come across a problem. I am using Climond Data (.asc file) but need to reduce the area to only include Australia. When I clipped the layer using the Toolbox --> Raster --> Clip, the new file that was created changed to a .ovr/.adf file/s. I am wondering how to either change the newly created files back to an .asc file (only keeping Australia) or how to clip the file and not have it change in the first place.

I am sure this is easy once you know how to do it but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Raster to Ascii ... to convert back to ascii.  The tool exists in both ArcMap and Pro 

For rasters, the recommended raster format is the *.tif.  Just make sure you specify the file extension to get the proper output

Mitchell_Crameri
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the reply. I have seen that page but have never used python before and was hoping there was an in ArcGIS method to complete this task. But I will download python and give it a go. I have been using .tif but in this case I need the ascii file for another program.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is actually a tool in ArcToolbox... no programming required... they are just explaining the principles