arcGIS 10.1

08-22-2012 10:14 AM
AndrewAustin
New Contributor
having issues with AcrGIS 10.1 in the layout view sometimes it seems to work fine and other time its so slow and will crash just want to see if anyone else was having issues with this. I'm running windows 7 not sure if this is causing some problems as it will only map up to 4gigs and says i only have 2.99 usable memory

so if anyone else is having issues with this i would like to hear about it and any ways to fix these issues would also be helpful.

thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JasonLyon
New Contributor III
Lately it has been slowing up greatly and hangs constantly when doing simple tasks.
The Print hang issue has become very annoying as the first time you try to print ArcMap hangs and you have to reset.
Takes upwards of 3-5 minutes for a map to open, granted this could be a network issue as licenses are pulled off server, but wait time is bad.
Computer: Windows 7 (64 bit), 16 gb RAM, 2.93GHz
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
10.1 crashes for me 5-10 times a day...not impressed.
0 Kudos
AledJones
New Contributor
10.1 crashes for me 5-10 times a day...not impressed.

10.1 has to be the worst version yet, 9/10 times my copy will crash when I click on 'File'!

I can't wait for SP1 😞
0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
Having similar problems - layout view becomes completely blank, only solution is to create new map from scratch. ALWAYS remember to save before printing! First attempt to print always crashes! Had these problems with 10.0, was (foolishly) hoping they would be addressed in 10.1.
0 Kudos
FrankBowne
New Contributor III
Hi Everyone,

I too have had major issues with 10.1. I am presentily working with ESRI support. Because the erratic behavior of the problems, it has been dificult to try and identify the sourse. Still no solution. Here is one of the steps we have tried:

Close all Arc Map and Arc Catalog applications.
-Click on start and navigate to C:/Users /<User Profile>/AppData/Roaming/ESRI.
-Right click on ESRI and rename it as ESRI_old.

-Renaming the ESRI folder from Regedit:

-Close all Arc Map and Arc Catalog applications.
-Click on start and type Run in search window.
-In the run box type regedit.
-Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>>Software>>ESRI.
-Right click on ESRI and rename it as ESRI_old.

Unfortunately this did not work.
I have sent "intercept" files, but so far a problem again can not be found.
It looks like we ae going to try a "Clean Install" next.

Gordon
0 Kudos
ChrisFox3
Occasional Contributor III
I would recommend anyone experiencing crashes at 10.1 that are hard to narrow down to contact Technical Support. The forums are a great resource for asking specific questions but when a problem requires a lot of work to narrow down and isolate the issue it is most efficiently done by working with Technical Support.
0 Kudos
JessieJames
New Contributor II
I am having the same problem. It locks up in layout view. I have tried not using maplex (labeling) and did all of the same trouble shooting things that ESRI walks you through on every ticket except the reinstall. I have a ticket with the ESRI help and waiting for a call back. She said she didn't know what the problem was.
0 Kudos
SandyHannum
New Contributor
Hi folks, I just came by checking to see if anyone else had my issue, and it's seems I am not alone!
I am using 10.1 with SP1 on an XP machine. The only (and most annoying problem) happens to me every day, once a day. the first time I  try to print from ArcMap. HARD CRASH. No notice or error message at all. You have to shut down the program from the task bar; restart ArcMap and then it basically runs all day long. I don't have giant datasets, but may produce anywhere from a dozen to over 50 maps in a day. Oddly enough, if I only export to PDF instead of print, it doesn't crash at all. BUT the first time I try to print, bam, frozen. So my work around is to open ArcMap, crash it by sending something to print, and restart ArcMap and I'm good to go for the rest of the day.
I had a thought that maybe I needed to have a postscript printer as my default printer (haven't tried that fix yet, but it was an issued some number of versions ago) Does anyone know if this is an issue?
Another plus to crashing the program, is that restarting it is much faster than the first time in the AM.
thanks,
Sandy
0 Kudos
LaszloKatona
New Contributor II
Hi,

I can confirm the same issue - ArcGIS 10.1 (no service pack)/Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1.  I have a network postscript plotter as my default printer.  It doesn't matter which of my network printers I set as the default, the issue occurs exactly as described by Sandy, and I use the same work-around.

Regards,
Laz
0 Kudos