Append error

07-09-2014 08:51 AM
ChristopherEarley
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have been having problems with the Append tool. I am trying to copy/append a polygon attribute value to selected features within a polyline. However, when I run the tool the program issues 'warnings' 000595 and 000597. This results in the tool not completing any actions. The help section explains that the 0597 error is due to 'a record/feature from the input could not be inserted due to problems with one of the fields values'. However, all of the potential causes which are suggested are not applicable to my data or situation as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know how I can work around this error? or any ideas on how I can copy attribute values from table to another using a different tool or python script?

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III

Append isn't used to add attribute values. It adds features to an existing feature class. The errors you're getting are because you're trying to add polygons to polylines.

So what to do? Depends on what you want and how your data is set up. You could convert your polygons to lines and append them. There are other methods as well, but really depends on your setup.