Address Locator Functionality Question

643
2
02-25-2022 08:06 AM
Labels (3)
JamesBushOpelika
New Contributor III

I will attempt to describe this issue as best as possible.

I have created an address locator in ArcGIS 10.8.1. shared to our hosted portal. Single home- Sub address style. We are using this in a salesforce application. Where the REST URL is being consumed. The behavior is not the same as other platforms when searching. For example, a user will begin typing an address in the search field and all candidates do not auto-populate when the street number is being entered. 

The full address has to be entered before any auto-population options appear. For example, "1500 PINEHURST DR. UNIT" has to be entered before all candidates will appear. In other applications, we see the behavior of all candidates being returned by imputing "1500". All addresses containing "1500" populate.

Am I missing something in the configuration of the locator? The salesforce team says it's a locator issue. I have generated multiple variations with the same result... HELP 

James Bush
jabush@opelika-al.gov
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BradStratton1
New Contributor

@JamesBushOpelika We are having the same issue.  have you made any progress fixing this?

0 Kudos
JamesBushOpelika
New Contributor III

Brad,

After weeks of testing and speaking to other GIS professionals, we found a solution. I do not recommend it. The workaround will only work with locators made with ArcMap. It also requires diving into the config file that is generated when producing the locator. It boils down to injecting aliases for each street name into the code of the config file.(editing this file is not possible in ArcPro) For best results, each street name required 3-5 aliases to help generate the auto population. 

After many man hours and testing, it was not perfect in some scenarios. With ArcMap depreciating we found this not sustainable. With the constant updates of new streets, it would also become a tedious process when the time comes to update the locator. We reconfigured the salesforce application to consume a feature layer service. This service is hosted through our portal. When querying the feature service we see the behavior we wanted out of the box. I would suggest using this method instead of a locator.

If you want to reach out. I don't mind sharing the config file and explaining more in detail, but a feature service is the way to go. jabush@opelika-al.gov 

 

James Bush
jabush@opelika-al.gov
0 Kudos