Custom Raster Type

07-26-2022 12:08 AM
Labels (2)
GiuseppeGentili
New Contributor III

Hello,

we have raster product that is composed by an RGB image and NIR image as separate TIFF files with JPEG compression.
Each raster product is then represented by two files like: xxxxxx_rgb.tif and xxxxxx_nir.tif.

We would add this raster product in to a mosaic dataset but we have not found a suitable raster type listed in the Add Raster tool ... or are we wrong ?

Otherwise, we imagine that we can create our own ART file to manage this product but we also imagine that this customization should manage also the appropriate "metadata" file in which there is the reference to the "rgb" and "nir" files.
In this case, we have looked for technical documentation about this specific customization (ART file and metadata file with the reference to files) ... could you help us ?

Many thanks in advance,

Giuseppe

2 Replies
ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

@GiuseppeGentili, assuming your RGB layer is a 3-band raster (i.e., not RGB flattened into a single band) and your NIR is a 1-band raster, you can use the Composite Bands tool to combine them into a 4-band raster.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
GiuseppeGentili
New Contributor III

Hi Thomas,

yes, RGB tiff file is a 3 bands raster and NIR tiff is 1 band raster.
I know that I can use the Composite Band tool.
There is a reason why I would not use this tool. As I wrote both tiff files are JPEG compressed and I would like not to loose the compression to save storage space: unfortunately JPEG compression is not allowed with 4 bands tiff files. 
My idea is to keep separate these two files  and try to use a suitable raster type to add them in to a mosaic dataset. Hence my post ...

0 Kudos