Address Locator Creation Struggles

03-02-2011 09:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 on Windows XP and am trying to geocode some addresses for the first time.  I have a .csv with the list of addresses (and other data) and I have a street centerline file, but I have been trying to create an Address Locator and am just not understanding the process.

I am attempting to create the locator using the Create Address Locator tool in Toolbox in ArcCatalog.  Can anyone give me good instruction (with explanations) because what I am finding in Help is just making me more confused.

Thanks,   Sneedle
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Personally, I wouldn't user the tool, I'd just go through the tutorial listed here

Basically what you need is a feature class to match against, typically street centerlines that have address ranges and street names.  Depepnding on how that data is set up is how you'll go about creating a locator.  The easiest locator to use (assuming you are in the U.S. and you have street centerline data) is the U.S Streets type.

Your table of addresses will have to follow the same standardization as the data you are matching against.  For example, there will need to be a field called ADDRESS and it should contain the address info that will work against your data.  It should look like 1234 Main ST, or 1234 S Money Grubbing LN.  Notice that one address has a prefix directional and the other does not.  They both have street Sufix types and those are standarized. 

How is your data set up? Do you use pre-directionals?  If you do, are spelled out or simply N E W S?  Or are is it No sometimes and N other times and NORTH still other times?  If you have a type, is it Street or ST or STR or??  That's what I mean about standarization.

Give the tutorial a spin and if you are still lost, post something back up here.  You can email me at my first intitial, lastname at companyname.com shown below.

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos