Adding XY Data from Excel

06-21-2013 07:18 AM
JenniferRamey
New Contributor II
I am new to ArcGIS and have been to the basic courses but I'm not understanding how to get my Excel spreadsheet into my Arcmap. I have created a spreadsheet that has longitude and latitude decimal format that I am wanting to be able to plot on my map.  I can get the data into the map but it does not appear to be plotting correctly.  My X axis is my long and my Y axis is my lat, I have the coordinate system set.  Please help.
Tags (2)
34 Replies
mariofernandez2
New Contributor
HI,
I am new to ArcGIS, and I have an excel file that want to add to GIS. I am able to add the file using the XY data but the data points are shown in a different scale. The file is on excel and it contains LAT, LONG, and Elevation. At the beginning I thought the points did not plot but after clicking to zoom to selected points the points appered. However, the entire map is gone. I would like to know if you guys have any info on this issue.

thanks
mario
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
Mario,

It sounds like you are having the same problem as the original poster. Read the original post's solution and check your coordinate system against the format of you xy data.

What coordinate system are you using? Is your xy in decimal degrees, degrees min sec?
0 Kudos
mariofernandez2
New Contributor
Thank you, I got the file working. As you metioned the issue was that the points were in a different Datum. Now I have another issue th points plot in GIS but these are a little bit off. Any info on this issue.

Thanks

mario
0 Kudos
YoshiTsuzuki
New Contributor II
Hello all,
I am trying to import some data from excel file with x, y coordinates and data. I attach a sample data. In accordance with answers in this sled, the excel file is imported using "File - Add data - Add XY data". I want to know the method to let ArcGIS to identify X and Y field is the coordinates. Thank you for your reply in advance.

Yoshi
0 Kudos
YoshiTsuzuki
New Contributor II
Hello all,
Please find the attachment as a sample file of X, Y coordinates and data corresponding to the location.

Yoshi
0 Kudos
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Hi yoshi,

Is your sample data from Australia? The X and Y fields I think, should be switched. Just sayin' 🙂

Hello all,
Please find the attachment as a sample file of X, Y coordinates and data corresponding to the location.

Yoshi
0 Kudos
YoshiTsuzuki
New Contributor II
Thanks leonardlluz, that's true.

This problem has been solved in another thread:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/99731-How-can-XY-coordinates-be-shown-in-the-attribute-table-of-a-p...

Thanks
Yoshi
0 Kudos
RyanMcDermott
New Contributor
New user to ArcGIS...

I am trying to map information from an excel file.  I am attaching some sample data that I have...Why can't I map this when I try adding XY Data?  I used the coordinates from a hand held GPS.  I am sure this is an easy fix, but I have no idea what I am doing.  Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
When I do this, I have to save the Excel file in the .xls format.  For some reason .xlsx does not work.
0 Kudos
PeterJones
Occasional Contributor

Updgrading to 10.2 resolve this format issue for me.

0 Kudos