Adding New Routes and Updating Measures

10-29-2012 06:49 PM
AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II
Hi

I have an array of routes representing haul roads leading to a central location, the crusher (looks like a messy spider web). The crusher location is the only point where the m-value = 0 from there the m-value accumulates outward along each route. Twice a year new haulroads are added and I have to individually update the measures using route measure editing. The measures of each new haul road begin with the value taken from the point of intersection with existing haulroads.
Can this be automated somehow either with existing arctools or using Python. I have tried all existing tools but nothing works. I have managed to create points representing the start of each route and then used locate points along route whiched resulted in a point fc that had an m-value. I then used calibrate routes with points (a single point for each route) and selected the extrapolate option hoping it would calculate the m-values along each route but no luck.

Cheers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18827[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Hm... how are the roads digitized?  From the crusher point outwards?  You mentioned that "the measures of each new haul road begin with the value taken from the point of intersection with existing haulroads."  So each haul road has it's own route identifier, and the m-value at the beginning of each route should start at 0?
0 Kudos
AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II
The roads are created in a road design package called Mxroads and the direction is outward away from the crusher. Each haul road has a unique identifier but I require the measures of each new haul road to begin with the value taken from the point of intersection with existing haulroads. The idea being that at any location on any haul road the measures becomes the haul distance back to the crusher.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
If all haul roads should start with an m-value of 0 and end at whatever the distance is of the route and you have individual features for each haul road within the attribute table, it seems like you can add a From_Field and To_Field, calculate a 0 for the From_Field and the length of the line for the To_Field, (you can use the Calculate Geometry function), and then create new routes using the Two_Field method.  This will autopopulate all of your routes with the m-values with respect to the digitized direction of the roads.  You can use this method for new routes only and possibly merge them with the old routes.
0 Kudos
AndrewBahnsen
New Contributor II
Only one can have an m-value of zero every other route which begins at an intersection by the way needs to have a from measure equal to the m-value at the intersection. Every road has an individual name, sorry I can't explain it any clearer.
0 Kudos