Adding/deleting fields in ArcMap 10.3.1

03-07-2017 07:05 AM
CCGISCOOP
New Contributor II

I am cleaning up an attribute table in Advanced Desktop ArcMap version 10.3.1. It is in an SDE database, registered, versioned, etc. I disconnected all other users and attempted to both delete a field and add a field. I kept receiving two different error messages.  One said there were locks on the data - even after I disconnected everyone - and the other said I didn't have permission to perform the operation even though I created the data and have full edit priviledges. (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE). Can someone illuminate me to what I am missing? I searched the desktop help but did not find any useful information to trouble shoot my issue.

TIA.

Cathy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Who owns sde.default?  You or dbo, or sde?  That may be conflict.  Something I've taken quite a liking to is exporting a featureclass to an xml workspace, using xml notepad to make changes and then importing it back in. Admittedly, that may be overkill for your situation, but it's a viable option especially when creating feature classes based on an existing schema that isn't just what you want.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CCGISCOOP
New Contributor II

Hi Joe,

SDE is the owner of default. Should that matter, since we have a versioned database?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just created a test feature class, registered it as versioned, and then deleted a field with no problem.  I'm not sure what's going on; you mentioned that you are the owner, so I think we've sidestepped Robert's suggestion. I even deleted a field after switching the version to sde.default.

The one error of locks is pretty common, even after you pop off users;  the best way I've found to get past that  is to stop and restart the service.  The permissions thing is strange though...

0 Kudos
CCGISCOOP
New Contributor II

Thanks Joe,

Someone else mentioned stopping the service so I will give that a try. It has been a while since I have restarted the service so it might just be feeling cranky today??

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Yep.  Sometimes you need to burp the baby....

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cathy,

Is the user you are connecting with the owner of the data? That is the usual issue.

0 Kudos
CCGISCOOP
New Contributor II

Thank you for the response Robert. SDE is the owner of the default version. And that is the version of the data I have in my map. I tried changing it to my version but the result was the same. Same errors.

0 Kudos