A CAD file (.dxf) doesn't project right.

11-29-2017 04:45 AM
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

A CAD file (.dxf) was sent to me and I extracted it to a geodatabase (in my projection) but it shows up 420 Km west of where it should.  Is there a way to fix this?  Anything I do to project it results in no change.  I'm not sure what is going on.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Madanbhurati1
New Contributor III

There are two important things to know when we re-project, one you must know the input coordinate system in which  it was drawn/designed and another is output projection. I assume that you should confirm your Input (CAD file) projection.

I would suggest to specify your input and target projection on your question. So one can understand the issue better.

If you don't know the input projection of your CAD file, you can go through following link to figure it out.

How To: Identify an unknown projected coordinate system using ArcMap 

TieshengWu
Occasional Contributor

Usually a cad file has a translation, rotation and/or scaling relative to original base map to make the sketch convenient for vision. Generally there is a cad layer labeling the original controlling  coordinate points by which you can fix the projection.(this layer may be turned off in cad). Map provider should be consulted if no controlling points layer.   

0 Kudos
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestions.  The original file is WGS 84 wkid 4326 authority EPSG.  I need it in NAD 83 UTM zone 16N.  I have tried to convert it to a coverage, geodatabase etc again but still no luck.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

do you mean it you can't convert it? 

convert, Define (actual) Projection/coordinate system, then Project to the desired coordinate system would be the workflow

0 Kudos
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

That is correct.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not sure what 'that is correct' applies but

Cad to Geodatabase ... to convert the cad data

What are the values of the current coordinates in the cad file?  are the X values in the range -180 to +180 and the Y's in the -90 to +90?  If they aren't, then they aren't in Geographic coordinates and you may be using an arbitrary coordinate system etc.

0 Kudos
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

Sorry Dan. I did try to define projection and the results were the same as always (using different methods)

The Easterly Coordinate is in the 200000 and should be in the 540000 range

The northerly seems good.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

with those values, they could be in a variety of projected coordinate systems.

they certainly aren't in a geographic coordinate system and they certainly aren't in UTM zone 16N, unless you are 540 km from the equator...by chance did you drop a 0 in 540000 (ie should it be 5,400,000 and not 540,000).  If you dropped a zero, then it could be in utm zone 16 BUT the question now becomes, are your units in feet or meters?

0 Kudos
JonPeroff
New Contributor II

Yes, you right it 5,400,000.  I want to convert it to UTM zone 16 but when I define the projection it shows up it zone 15 and in meters.

0 Kudos