90 degree bend between two points using a line segment

09-13-2011 12:12 PM
aaronhill
New Contributor II
Is there a existing tool or clever way to make a line segment bend at any angle(preferably 90) between two points?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
There are a couple of ways, you can use the constrain perpendicular tool or... for more flexibility when you are creating your line place a point and then right click and select either direction and length, or direction, or deflection and enter the appropriate numbers.
0 Kudos
aaronhill
New Contributor II
There are a couple of ways, you can use the constrain perpendicular tool or... for more flexibility when you are creating your line place a point and then right click and select either direction and length, or direction, or deflection and enter the appropriate numbers.

Is there a script I can load to do this? We are trying to do this with the least amount of steps.
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Is there a script I can load to do this? We are trying to do this with the least amount of steps.

I don't know of a way.  Someone else might.
0 Kudos
aaronhill
New Contributor II
I don't know of a way.  Someone else might.

On the Snapping toolbar, under the Snapping menu, be sure Snap To Sketch is on.

Assuming you have two points that we will call A and B.  Using straight segment tool and desired feature template...
- click on point A and then click on point B, but don't finish the sketch
- right-click and choose Deflection, type 45 degrees
- extend the sketch well past the A point in the direction of the needed bend (you are purposely overshooting it)
- click once (we'll call this point C), don't finish sketch
- click on point A (you've made a temporary triangle)
- click constrain perpendicular on the Feature Construction toolbar
- click anywhere on the line from B to C
- click at the intersection of the constrained sketch and line from B to C (it should snap)
- hover over point B, right-click, choose delete vertex
- hover over point C, right-click, choose delete vertex
- hit F2 to finish the sketch

You should now have one line from A to B with a 90 degree bend (vertex).
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
If you are using ArcGIS 10, another (manual) method to try is to use Right Angle on the palette of sketch construction types.

See Right Angle in this help topic:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Segment_construction_methods/001t00000...

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/90_degrees_from_the_previous_segment_a...
0 Kudos