Use SDE table as Domain Table

06-09-2010 06:23 PM
AaronLankford2
New Contributor III
Rather than storing Domain Values in Binary or XML form within the sde.domain table, allow users to use the values of an SDE Table to propogate the Domain values.  This would allow for standard normalization on databases and eliminate redundancy of Domains stored over several GeoDatabases.
Tags (2)
8 Comments
RyanClark6
Please oh please make it so. Domains can serve more purposes than simply limiting data entry. It can also be used to resolve opaque foreign-key values to something that people can read and make sense of. Especially if this suggestion is implemented.
RonnieRichards
Yes please make it so. It is ridiculous to deal with domain management tools or add ins to perform the simplest of tasks... (sort domains)

Better yet provide a command that creates a view thereby allowing the admin to sort the view as desired. 

It is a really fun having to explain to an Applications Manager who knows nothing about ArcGIS that their highly normalized database will have to be redundantly converted into the geodatabase using properietary arctoolbox/arcpy commands. 

Domains as tables or views just makes sense and fits into the majority of the database world. 
BillMcKay
It's obvious.  As Nike would say, just do it!
CollinKleiboer
Yes, please!
RandyKreuziger

In our SQL/SDE database we've made physical tables to store domain values in so the data can be used outside of ArcGIS.  This was a great idea 6 years ago and still a great idea today!

DanaNolan

Yes, oh yes. I do export my domains often to gdb tables so I can: document them through reports, check data against domains, compare databases, join them to dirty data to clean up values.

AllanBenvin1

Imagine not needing a system outage to add a domain value. 

DavidWheelock