Select to view content in your preferred language

Migrating from Traditional to Branch Versioning (documentation/tools needed)

06-16-2023 07:00 AM
Labels (1)
BrianBrown777
New Contributor II

Given the recent functionality and limited historical knowledge of branch versioning, there is seemingly very limited information available from ESRI on specifically migrating an existing SDE currently using traditional versioning to branch versioning. A dedicated technical document on this effort (or even better, an ArcGIS Pro tool to assist with this effort) is greatly needed. 

There are lots of documents dedicated to enabling branch versioning in an SDE from scratch, but none that I can find specifically outlining making the conversion from traditional versioning, while preserving data in existing current archive tables, and other needed info to prevent data loss. 

3 Comments
ElaineEvans

@BrianBrown777 - Thanks so much for asking!

The short answer is No, there's currently no single document that outlines and addresses everything that you are looking for.

With that said, here's a longer answer... 

It’s important to understand that the two versioning models, (Traditional & Branch) are completely separate models and that there may be tradeoffs as to the choice you make.  Further, there is not a one size fits all “migration” workflow process to move data from being registered with traditional versioning to being registered with branch versioning.   There are many variables at play, and any type of movement from one model to another will vary based on the specifics of your configuration, geodatabase behaviors applied, use cases implemented, and the business requirements of your organization, to name just a few.

In addition, here are a few additional important questions to consider:

• Why do you want to “migrate” your data currently registered as traditional versioned to branch versioned?
  • What’s your end goal, and what are you hoping to accomplish by having your data registered as branch versioned that you are currently unable to do with your data registered as traditional versioned?
  • How do you want your branch-versioned data to be used or consumed?  (Do you have Mobile, desktop, or web clients?)
  • Who & how is this data going to be accessed, viewed, edited, and maintained, (i.e., through apps, services, dashboards, mobile apps, ArcGIS Pro)?
  • What is your data update process/frequency and how do you expect your data to grow and be used over time?
  • Is it necessary for you to “migrate” all your data to being registered as branch versioned or is it only certain datasets that you’re interested in registering as branch versioned? 

While the following is certainly NOT a complete outline, it might help you get started.

• First, take a full database backup and restore this geodatabase backup to a test environment and test your migration workflow solely in this test environment. This will also test whether your backup and recovery strategy & process are working properly. 😉
  • Then, complete the following:

I would also suggest reviewing or considering the following resources:

Help topics:

Blogs to review:

Esri Training Course to consider:

Finally, if additional assistance is needed, I’d recommend talking with your Esri Account Manager.

Hope that helps!

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed

Cristian

Hi @ElaineEvans  

I have the same question. To migrate or not migrate to branch versioned. Being honest, I do not want to. There are customized tools involved (that will be migrates from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro), all the users are accustomed with the workflow involved traditional versions, I do not see reason to change the versioned type.

The great problem is Data Reviewer. Is not possible to configure Attribute Rules with traditional versions. I can run a batch job, but if I wish to change some checker, I will need to do in ArcMap. I think this strange. Other problem are the custom checkers, no support.

I do not understand why Data Reviewer was implemented this way. It should be possible to use both versioned types, in my opinion.

What do you think about this? What would you do with Data Reviewer?

I would appreciate it if you could comment on.

Cristian