ArcGIS should allow the ability to permanently reorder fields in a table

04-20-2010 01:33 PM
Labels (1)
NewingtonConnecticut
Occasional Contributor

After creating a feature class, it would be convenient to go back after data input, and make changes to the field ordering (position).

209 Comments
NanaDei
At ArcGIS 10.1, one can change field names for tables/feature classes in a 10.1 geodatabase.  Field names must still conform to geodatabase field name guidelines and  fields in a 9.3.x or prior release geodatabase cannot be renamed.  Other changes to fields are not currently supported at 10.1 and the remaining listed requests will be re-evaluated as separate ideas post 10.1 for inclusion in a future release.  Hence, this idea will be modified to the 'Change field order' request.
GraemeBrowning
Reordering fields with some workarounds (solution would be better) just came up again at http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/32119/how-to-reorder-fields-permanently-in-a-file-geodatabase...
EricStewart
I hope ESRI is noticing the attention this Idea is getting. It's 2012 -- do something about it. It's incredibly frustrating that we can't do this.
JULIENCAFFY
We really really really need this feature ! pleaaaase !
GraemeBrowning
Lest We Forget - ARC/INFO equivalent function PULLITEMS was made available in about version 4.0 (circa 1988)
JakeKrall
Shouldn't this be at least "under consideration" by now?  How many votes does it take?
DaveJohnson
How about allowing this via a GP Tool/Python.  (Yes, I know of and much dislike 'field map') I bet most folks want to do it via script and not manually.  Glad it's added to 10.1, have already used it.  
AndrewNeedham
This is the number one issue that users want fixed, ESRI this should be a top priority and be address this sooner than later. MapInfo (not that I’m a fan) has a "Modify Table Structure" that covers the ESRI user’s requests in this thread, obviously TAB files are different to GDB but there must be away to achieve this. 
mattwilkie
come on Esri, this is s a no-brainer. Why are you dragging your feet?

{process class="discards" type="bathwater" name="ArcInfo"}
   baby
{/process}
StevenMenefee1
Please allow this functionality ESRI!  We have replicas set up that must be unregistered and re-registered when we have to re-create a feature class or table because we want to add a new field in the middle of it.